Friday, April 12, 2013

Abstract sketch crawl

Strolling around Old Limassol town with a good friend, choosing where to park ourselves for an outdoor art session, is currently my favourite way to fill a sketchbook.

Recently sight of flaking Mediterranean-blue painted doorways, worn stonework and rusting ornamental metal-work, opposite comfy sun-shaded pavement cafe tables, made the choice easy.  Naturally purchase of a glass of white wine or two had to be made to secure tenure of our spot for as long as we wanted.
Water Baby

I've just finished several months of portrait commissions and feel the urge to let go of figurative work for a while to get some abstract art bugs out of my system. So realism is out, and colour and self expression, is definitely in.

This week I kept my sketch crawl kit to a minimum;  Rotring art pen with black ink, watercolour pencils, Inktense blocks, a refillable water-pen, large soft brush, plastic water bottle and an 8 x 11 in water-colour sketchpad.

Though it might not appear obvious, the inspiration for the sketch here was the roofless interior of a derelict house.  I love making studies of the remains of old buildings;  it's refreshing to abstract shapes and simply make marks to express feelings of the moment.

Email me for more information about any of my work.













After the wine

No comments: