Wednesday, September 13, 2006

GREET THE ANCESTORS



Thought it would be fun to create some 'vintage' ACEOs with a twist.

I was inspired by some old photos from H's ephemera collection. Two were taken by a photographer at F Beales, 31 High Street, Boston, USA, sometime I guess at the turn of the 20th century. On the back of the photos is a really interesting advertisement, which I have used as background, with prints of the photo and one of my 2006 mini portraits collaged on top. The shocking pink punk is a nod in the direction of the look I wanted but when faced with the hairdresser never quite had the nerve :-))

The third photograph bears a handwritten inscription on the reverse 'RNC 14yrs 1912'. Who, I wonder, was RNC? Will try to find out. For certain in that year he was a school boy at Eton College, near Windsor, England. His photograph was taken by Hills & Saunders, who according to the splendid advertisement were 'BY APPOINTMENT TO HIS MAJESTY', which would mean King George V as he came to the throne the previous year, according to Google. Hill & Saunders had a tidy business by the looks of it. Apart from Eton, they were also at Harrow and Sandhurst. All those serious little boys and young soldiers. I wonder how many of them made it through the 1914-18 First World War?

No comments: