Thursday, October 28, 2010

Memorial Pet Portrait

A lovely lady internet art client, who commissioned a couple of portraits some time ago and has since become a friend, made a request which set me in a quandry.  

Her little dog, Jake, a faithful companion for many years, came to the end of his life and she misses him so much.  She wanted his portrait painted.  And here's my problem.  The photo image she wants to remember him with is not great;  as you can see, very little of Jake can be seen in the middle of lots of ivy leaves.


 To be honest, under normal circumstances I would have been tempted not to accept the commission in this form.  But I know how much it means to this lady, so I explained the problems to her and my reservations,  and agreed to give it a try.

 ACEO 3.5 x 2.5"
Acrylic on mount board

I couldn't see any detail of Jake from the photo so had to work intuitively with a bit of additional visual information from the client.  I'm so glad now that I didn't give up on this.

No comments: