Thursday, June 30, 2011

Oil painting - Artist and Model.

Artist and Model
oil painting 14 x 22 inches

I began this painting by making a quick compositional sketch looking at myself and my model through a large mirror.  Knowing my model has limited time available to pose, I also made tone and colour notes and tried to get as far as a could with the painting using just those alone as reference.  I used direct observation to paint myself by looking through the mirror.  Eventually I grabbed my model long enough to take a photo of him in position, and then completed the painting using that, taking care to combine the two figures harmoniously, whilst demonstrating that one figure is in the foreground and one at some distance.  It was an interesting challenge, as you might suspect from my anxious squinty expression on my face LOL!
 

No comments: